We have written quite a few articles on our product offerings and outlook on the industry, but I recently realized that we hadn’t really put it altogether into one narrative, so that the complete plan is easily understandable. Join in.
By now it should be clear that Unacast is an atypical proximity company. First, we do not produce sensors. Secondly, we do not deploy sensors nor do we provide the software to manage sensors in the physical space. We leave that to our many trusted PSP (Proximity Solution Provider) partners, and that is something they excel at.
So what do we then do?
If you go look at our web page you will see that we are hard at work connecting all of the now 500 known PSPs to online marketing platforms through our PROX platform, so that granular sensor and interaction data can be used as triggers for online marketing and remarketing. Scalable and global.
Make no mistake, this is a huge undertaking and make no mistake, we are well on our way.
In April we signed with PSP number 52 with over 1.4 million beacons in total to use our platform for connecting to online advertising– and we are growing quickly. The last months we have also signed with the dominant global media platforms, like Opera Mediaworks, Oracle/BlueKai, MediaMath, Lotame and Adform.
All of this translates to a #1 position and the world’s biggest proximity platform. By some margin.
I am here today to tell you that this is not the entire plan. There is more.
FROM 5 TO 400 MILLION BEACONS
The grand vision in Unacast is that of a hugely valuable and multifaceted proximity industry that helps usher in new forms of marketing centered around micro-moments, context and precise location. As the aftershocks originating from the epicenter of mobile are still rumbling through the marketing industry, we argue that proximity possibilities are likely to create a similar seismic shift.
In layman terms that means that technology, people, processes and creatives will change – again.
However, to harvest the full value of the young but quickly growing proximity industry (5 of 400 million forecasted beacons are deployed today) we need to solve the barrier of fragmentation. Remember, we already see 500 PSPs deploying hardware and software, collecting, storing and sending data in 500 different ways.
THE PROXIMITY PLAN
This is our plan, in five steps:
- Solve the issue of fragmentation by connecting all PSPs to one unified platform and API so that all PSPs and all customers of PSPs start the journey towards a common language – the language of proximity. PSP value proposition: Ensure compatibility to current and future monetization opportunities.
- Understand that there is a direct link between the quality and volume of relevant tags associated with deployed sensors and the connected commercial opportunities. In addition to understanding that this it is not the core focus of the PSP, and that we could and should provide assistance in achieving this. PSP value proposition: Maximizing the revenue potential both in the physical and digital domain.
- Connect the collective proximity industry to marketing platforms, so that one can begin to understand the whole end user journey (both physical and digital) and therefore offer fuller services back to the customers of the PSPs. PSP value proposition: Add new product features to win more (and bigger) deals and add new revenue streams.
- Connect the collective proximity industry commercially and technically to each other so that we can increase scale for everyone. The collective amount of apps and sensors in the PROX network would be available for any given campaign, if desired, accelerating reach and growth for all. PSP value proposition: Add reach to current and future proximity deployments to increase ROI for all parties.
- Introduce a powerful, aggregated and harmonized proximity industry as the backbone of an increasing data hungry world, where precise (and in-door) location will be the data and fuel for a wide range of applications in finance, retail, analytics, dating, transportation – and services we can’t even imagine yet. PSP value proposition: Join in on all the future possibilities the aggregated proximity industry will attract. More clients. More products. More revenue. More fun.
Internally we use the following tagline: Like Google indexed the web, Unacast is indexing the physical world. So that you all can build products on top of us.
So, this is our plan. Join in. Join us.