LAST UPDATED: February 11, 2019
2. Information We May Collect From You
In this Section 2 we describe the personal data we collect.
(i) Data You Provide to Us
When you use the Website or otherwise communicate with us, we collect information that you provide to us directly. For example, we collect information in the following circumstances: when you sign up for a newsletter, when you contact us via the Website; and when you otherwise communicate with us.
The information you provide to us directly may include, without limitation, the following information that may, in certain circumstances, constitute personal data:
- Subscribing to our Mailing List: If you wish to subscribe to our mailing list, we collect your name and email address. In this context, we may also collect data concerning your device (as further described below) to serve you with more personalized emails;
- Company name;
- First name, Last name;
- Phone number;
- Email address;
- Location; and
- Information on your preference about joining our mailing list.
- Other information: We may also collect any other information you may want to share with us, such as personal data related to recruitment / job applications. Moreover, if you contact us, a record of this correspondence may be kept.
(ii) Personal Data You Provide To Third Parties On Our Site.
Please note that we use certain third party service providers on the Website to enhance your experience or deliver certain services. These providers may collect Personal Data in performing their services and/or functions on the Website. For example, we use the following third party service providers for the services identified:
- Lever.com to collect Personal Data relating to open positions posted on our Site. To learn about the privacy practices of Lever, please review https://www.lever.co/privacy-policy
(iii) Data Collected Automatically
Certain information on our Site is collected automatically by means of various software tools. We have a legitimate interest in using such information to assist in log-in, systems administration purposes, information security and abuse prevention, to track user trends, and to analyze the effectiveness of our Site. Alone or in combination with other information, such automatically collected information may constitute personal data. We may also use third-party analytics tools (such as Google Analytics and Hotjar) that collect information about use of the Website and Services and user traffic. The information we may collect by automated means may include, without limitation:
- Information about the devices you use to access the Website and Services (such as the IP address and the type of the device, operating system, network connection, and web browser);
- Dates, times, and duration of use of the Website and Services (including whether you are a repeat or first time visitor); and
- Information on actions taken when using the Website (such as page views and website navigation patterns).
Google Analytics is an element of the Website. By using cookies, Google Analytics collects and stores data such as time of visit, pages visited, time spent on each page of the Website, the Internet Protocol address, and the type of operating system used in the devices used to access the Website. By using a browser plugin available at http://www.google.com/ads/preferences/plugin/ provided by Google, you can opt out of Google Analytics.
- where we need it to perform a contract with you (e.g., to fulfill an order);
- where the processing is in our legitimate interests (which include the purposes listed, above); or
- if we otherwise have your consent.
3. The Purposes for Which We Use the Data
We use the personal data about you for the following purposes:
- To communicate with you;
- To prevent and investigate fraud and other misuses;
- To protect our rights and/or our property;
- To operate and improve our products and services;
- To manage the Website;
- To provide features available on the Website;
- To set up and maintain your registration with the Proximity Directory service;
- To develop, improve, and protect the Website;
- To market research and electronic direct marketing, in accordance with applicable law;
- To audit and analyze the Website;
- For human resource purposes; and
- To ensure the technical functionality and security of the Website.
4. How We Disclose Data
We do not sell, lease, rent or otherwise disclose the personal data collected from the Website to third parties unless otherwise stated below.
The personal data collected may be disclosed in the following manner:
(i) Personal Data You Provide to Us Directly
We may disclose personal data you provide to us on the Website with the following categories of third parties:
- Service providers, such as data storage service providers and human resources service providers;
- Our advertising partners, in accordance with applicable law;
- Public authorities, such as law enforcement, if we are legally required to do so or if we need to protect our rights or the rights of third parties; and
(ii) Data Collected Automatically
The data collected automatically on the Website may be disclosed to the following categories of third parties:
- To service providers, such as data analysis companies;
- To public authorities, such as law enforcement, if we are legally required to do so or if we need to protect our rights or the rights of third parties; and
Moreover, we may disclose information to third parties in an aggregate format that does not constitute personal data and does not allow the identification of individual users.
5. Your Rights
You have the following rights with respect to the personal data we hold about you:
- The right to know what data we hold about you: If you would like to know what personal data we hold about you, please contact us at email@example.com. We seek to promptly respond to your inquiry.
- The right to have incomplete, incorrect, outdated, or unnecessary personal data corrected, deleted, or updated. If you have questions regarding the correction, deletion, or updating of the personal data we hold about you, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The right to opt out of receiving electronic direct marketing communications from us: All electronic direct marketing communications that you may receive from us, such as e-mail messages and SMS-messages, give you an option of not receiving such communications from us in the future. If you have any additional questions about electronic direct marketing received from us, please contact us at email@example.com.
Depending on where you live, you may have a right to lodge a complaint with a supervisory authority or other regulatory agency if you believe that we have violated any of the rights concerning personal data about you. We encourage you to first reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org so we have an opportunity to address your concerns directly before you do so.
6. Your California Privacy Rights
California Civil Code Section § 1798.83 permits users of our Website who are California residents to request certain information regarding our disclosure of Personal Information to third parties for their direct marketing purposes. To make such a request, please send an email to email@example.com or write us at: Unacast, Inc. Attn: Chief Privacy Officer, 12 East 33rd Street, 10th Floor, New York, NY 10016, USA
7. Retention of Personal Data
We reserve the right to retain any personal data as long as the personal data are needed to: (i) fulfill the purposes that are described in Section 3 (The Purposes For Which We Use the Data), and (ii) comply with applicable law.
8. Data Security
The security of personal data is important to us. We take reasonable measures to protect personal data about you from unauthorized access or against loss, misuse or alteration by third parties. Despite these efforts to store personal data collected on and through the Website and otherwise by us in a secure operating environment that is not available to the public, we cannot guarantee the security of personal data during its transmission or its storage on our systems. Further, while we attempt to ensure the integrity and security of personal data, we cannot guarantee that our security measures will prevent third-parties such as so-called hackers from illegally obtaining access to personal data. We do not warrant or represent that personal data about you will be protected against, loss, misuse, or alteration by third parties.
9. International Transfers of Personal Data
Some elements of the Website and/or our products and services may be hosted on servers located in countries outside your own country. The laws applicable to the protection of personal data in such countries may be different from those applicable in your home country. In particular, if you are located within the European Union, please note that personal data collected by us may be transferred outside the European Union (the “EU”)/ European Economic Area (the “EEA”). You consent to personal data about you being transferred outside your own country and, where applicable, outside the EU.
10. Personal Data Transferred From the EU or Switzerland to the United States
Unacast complies with the EU-US Privacy Shield Framework and the Swiss-U.S. Privacy Shield Framework (Privacy Shield) as set forth by the US Department of Commerce regarding the collection, use, and retention of personal data transferred from the EU and the United Kingdom and/or Switzerland, as applicable to the United States in reliance on Privacy Shield. Unacast has certified to the Department of Commerce that it adheres to the Privacy Shield Principles of Notice, Choice, Accountability for Onward Transfer, Security, Data Integrity and Purpose Limitation, Access, and Recourse, Enforcement and Liability. A violation of our commitment to Privacy Shield may be investigated by the Federal Trade Commission and/or the United States Department of Commerce. If there is any conflict between the policies in this Privacy Statement and the Privacy Shield Principles, the Privacy Shield Principles shall govern. To learn more about the Privacy Shield program, and to view our certification page, to the extent available, please visit https://www.privacyshield.gov.
In compliance with the Privacy Shield Principles, Unacast commits to resolve complaints about your privacy and our collection or use of personal data about you. Persons from the EU who have inquiries or complaints regarding this Statement should first contact us via email at: privacy (at) unacast.com.
Unacast has committed to refer unresolved privacy complaints under the Privacy Shield Principles to JAMS, an alternative dispute resolution provider located in the United States. If you do not receive timely acknowledgment of your complaint, or if your complaint is not satisfactorily addressed, please visit https://www.jamsadr.com/eu-us-privacy-shield for more information and to file a complaint.
Additionally, with respect to complaints concerning human resources data that is transferred from the EU to the United States, we have agreed to participate in the dispute resolution procedures of the EU Data Protection Authorities. Contact details for the EU data protection authorities can be found at http://ec.europa.eu/justice/data-protection/bodies/authorities/index_en.htm. Unacast will cooperate with the appropriate EU Data Protection Authorities during investigation and resolution of complaints concerning human resources data that is transferred from the EU to the United States under the Privacy Shield.
These recourse mechanisms are available at no cost to you. Damages may be awarded in accordance with applicable law.
Under certain conditions, if you are not satisfied with the above recourse mechanism, you may be able to invoke binding arbitration.
In cases of onward transfer to third parties of data of EU individuals received pursuant to the EU-US Privacy Shield, Unacast, Inc. is potentially liable.
Pursuant to the Privacy Shield, Unacast remains liable for the transfer of personal data to third parties acting as our agents unless we can prove we were not a party to the events giving rise to the damages.
11. Children’s Privacy
The Website is not directed to children younger than thirteen (13) years of age. We do not intend to collect personal data from children under 13. If you are under 13, please do not use the Website and do not send any information about yourself to us.
13. Questions or Concerns?